Thursday, July 2, 2009

Why?

July 4th is soon here. This is a little thought to celebrate the large numbers of American fundamental evangelical missionaries who run, like termites, over our hills spreading their news of flaming hell and damnation and the simple dip in the river to solve all ills.

Why?

Why are you trying to destroy my beliefs, my society, my culture?

What makes you so very sure your values, your God is better than mine?

Will He teach me what to sow, and when?
Will your God teach me what herbs to mix to ease my wife's pains in
childbirth?
Will He teach me how to look after my water supply, what to put on my land to strengthen my crops, how to respect my family, my elders, my children?

My Gods do all these things, and very much more.

What does your god have to offer me, except pain and dissent, empty promises of salvation or threats of everlasting suffering?

Why can't you just go home and leave me happy, in peace in my village?

Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment